Oral cancer is a type of head and neck cancer that can occur in the mouth, tongue, lips, gums, or throat. It is important to be very vigilant and aware of the symptoms of oral cancer so that you can identify it early and get treatment as soon as possible. Dr. Tripthi Shetty of Modern Dental Studio in East Brunswick, New Jersey, offers regular oral cancer screenings and exams to look for the signs of mouth and gum cancer.
What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
Below are just some of the common signs that oral cancer might be present:
- A sore or irritation in the mouth that does not go away
- A lump or mass found in the mouth or on the tongue
- Bleeding in the mouth
- Chronic hoarseness or sore throat
- Difficulty swallowing or chewing
- Numbness in any area of the mouth
What risk factors can increase your chance of developing oral cancer?
Several factors might increase your chances of developing oral cancer, including:
- Tobacco use
- Heavy alcohol use
- Ultraviolet light exposure
- Oral HPV infections
If you have one or more of these common risk factors, they may cause mouth cancers, so routine evaluations are recommended by our team.
What are the treatment options for oral cancer?
If you are diagnosed with oral cancer by your dentist, there are several treatment options available, depending on the stage and severity of the cancer. Treatment options may include:
- Surgery: Surgery is often used to remove tumors in the mouth or throat.
- Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy uses high-powered beams of energy to kill cancer cells. It is often used in combination with surgery.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is a type of cancer treatment that uses drugs to kill cancer cells. It is sometimes used in conjunction with radiation therapy or surgical excision.
How do I schedule an oral cancer screening?
Call Dr. Tripthi Shetty and her team in East Brunswick, NJ, to discuss your concerns and undergo an evaluation to determine if oral cancer may be present in your smile. Modern Dental Studio can be reached by calling (732) 432-0123 and is conveniently located at 577 Cranbury Road, Suite C-1. Our team can assist patients in the surrounding communities of Monroe, Manalapan, and South Brunswick as well.