Healthy gums are crucial for your smile and oral health. Disease-free gums snugly fit over teeth, guarding them against sensitivity and harmful bacteria. Unfortunately, when infection infiltrates your gingival tissues, your gums may pull back (recede), exposing more of your tooth roots. Gum recession not only detracts from your smile but also exposes you to tooth sensitivity and cavities.
Receding gums can’t grow back — you need medical interventions like gum grafting. But wait! What if you prevent gum recession in the first place? Isn’t this a more cost-effective alternative? At Modern Dental Studio in East Brunswick, New Jersey, we prioritize preventive dental care in all that we do. With this in mind, we’d like to share some helpful tips on preventing gum recession.
- Practice good oral hygiene: The leading cause of gum recession is periodontal disease, so you should keep your mouth clean to keep infections at bay. Fortunately, maintaining a healthy mouth is simple. Brush twice and floss daily. You can also rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash to eliminate disease-causing bacteria
- Brush your teeth gently: We have all been guilty of this — we aggressively brush our teeth, thinking the harder we do it, the more effective it is. Sometimes, we even brush hard to make up for missed dental cleanings. Aggressive tooth brushing does two harms: it wears away your enamel and results in gum recession. Avoid these oral issues by gently brushing your teeth using a soft-bristled toothbrush with a non-abrasive toothpaste
- Manage chronic teeth grinding: Bruxism exerts pressure on your teeth, resulting in numerous dental problems, including dental damage and gum recession. Talk to your dentist about a customized night guard to protect your oral health from bruxism-induced effects
- Stop using tobacco products: Tobacco causes several health problems, including cancer, hypertension, and heart disease. That’s not all. Smoking puts you at risk of gum disease, which could be why your gums are pulling back. Quit all tobacco products for the benefit of your mouth and overall health
- Visit your dentist regularly: See your dentist every six months to ensure your oral health is monitored by an expert. We know your smile all too well, so when changes occur, however small, we notice and recommend corrective care before it’s too late
- Lastly traumatic bite can also cause gum recession,if your teeth are lingually inclined,all facing towards the tongue INVISALIGN can help reduce the trauma on the teeth permanently.Ask your dentist about it.
Would you want to learn more about gum health in East Brunswick, NJ? Please get in touch with Drs. Tripthi Shetty at Modern Dental Studio for personalized care.
Share this Article